27 April 2007

Agfa Love Affair

I am an old-fashioned girl at heart.

I love all the technology that is abound and which I have access to. Nevermind that I can be such a tech-phobe sometimes. I cannot imagine not having internet, email, cell-phone at my disposal - I suspect though that my life will be far less complicated if I don't have any of these - and I love the pace of what this lifetime has gone through.

But I am still an old-fashioned girl. I have always been and I always will be.

Nevermind that I don't know how to work the remote for Smart TV M and I subscribe to at home. Please excuse my ignorance at not knowing how to use the video function on my Sony Ericsson W810i. Or how to really work with M's digital camcorder.

But give me my current plaything Canon EOS 66 and I will be happy. I will be ecstatic if I can get my hands on a few old-timer films. A roll of Agfa film would almost certainly make me orgasmic. --> Okay, I exaggerate but you get my drift.

The very first film I ever bought was an Agfa 200/36 from a now defunct film shop in Marina Square back in the late 1980s. Since then, I tried pretty much what FujiFilm, Kodak and Konica have to offer (the consumer 35mm ones which are within an amateur photographer's budget) but my first love will still be Agfa.
What I find lacking in most other commercial consumer films, I find in Agfa : sharp colours, pointy contrast, fine analog grain and intense saturation. M thinks I am weird - somewhat - to be able to tell the difference between an Agfa-filmed-photo and one that is not.

The Lomo Shop is having for sale the entire remaining stock of film from the legendary German factory. That's the real-deal German film from the now-defunct plant! --> hyperventilating now in excitement, if you can't already tell. Once this stock runs out, it would be bye-bye-original-German Agfa.

For now, I'll have to close my eyes, punch the numbers on the internet and sit and wait by the door for my new rolls of Agfa film to be delivered. ~ Inspira

(Images courtesy of Lomographic Society International)

No comments: